East Bay News
Oakland school offers figure skating program
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland School for the Arts will debut a new figure skating program this school year with the hopes of giving students a unique artistic outlet.
The program already has three admitted students for this year, and another three students planned to audition on Tuesday afternoon, the school's executive and artistic director Donn Harris said.
Students need to have some experience in figure skating to apply, whether it be recreational or professional training, Harris said.
The new emphasis is one of 10 art concentrations the school offers. The others include dance, digital media, circus arts and production design.
"In terms of discipline and commitment, I really do think you learn that kind of strong inner self that gets built through exploring these different art forms," Harris said.
The school hopes to eventually admit 15 students into the figure skating program, Harris said.
Ten people have applied for the program so far. The applicants are a combination of students already admitted to the school and external students.
Classes will be taught by instructors at the Oakland Ice Center, located across the street from the school, which is housed in the Fox Theater.
Gov. Jerry Brown founded the charter school in 2002, when he was then Oakland mayor. The school serves more than 600 students in grades 6 through 12.
Students also take classes in English, math, science and social studies. Once they reach high school, students additionally study a romance language.
oakland, art, jerry brown, east bay news
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- US approves California's new K-12 testing plan
- Private school in Oakland on lockdown after assault 14 min ago
- Ukraine may turn to UN General Assembly
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Wing cracks lead to Dreamliner production delay
- Woman killed when gun in donated clothes fires
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday