East Bay News
Man shot by CHP officer in Orinda expected to survive
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A man shot Friday in Orinda by a California Highway Patrol officer during the investigation of a hit-and-run collision has been identified as 32-year-old David Alcairo, the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office said Saturday.
Alcairo, a Concord resident, was shot in the torso Friday on the Wilder Road offramp from eastbound state Highway 24 around 4 p.m., Sheriff's Office spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
His injuries are not life-threatening, but he currently remains at John Muir Medical Center, Lee said. When he is released from the hospital, he is expected to be booked into Alameda County Jail on multiple charges.
The shooting occurred during the investigation of an injury hit-and-run collision involving a motorcycle that occurred around 3:40 p.m. near the Claremont Avenue offramp in Oakland, according to the CHP.
Working from a description provided by an off-duty federal law enforcement officer who witnessed the collision, a CHP officer spotted a suspicious vehicle matching that description parked on the shoulder at the Wilder Road offramp around 4 p.m., Lee said.
The CHP officer stopped behind the vehicle, but at some point during the contact the driver allegedly approached the officer in an aggressive manner and refused to comply with orders, Lee said.
The officer opened fire, injuring the driver.
Eastbound lanes of Highway 24 were closed for about two hours during the two investigations on each side of the Caldecott Tunnel, backing traffic up at the height of this evening's rush hour.
The CHP, the sheriff's office and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are jointly investigating the officer-involved shooting, Lee said.
Anyone with information about the incident has been asked to call the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office at (925) 646-2441.
CHP, highway 24, orinda, oakland, caldecott tunnel, crash, crime, shooting, guns, violence, hit and run, east bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos