East Bay News
Man shot by CHP officer in Orinda expected to survive
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A man shot Friday in Orinda by a California Highway Patrol officer during the investigation of a hit-and-run collision has been identified as 32-year-old David Alcairo, the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office said Saturday.
Alcairo, a Concord resident, was shot in the torso Friday on the Wilder Road offramp from eastbound state Highway 24 around 4 p.m., Sheriff's Office spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
His injuries are not life-threatening, but he currently remains at John Muir Medical Center, Lee said. When he is released from the hospital, he is expected to be booked into Alameda County Jail on multiple charges.
The shooting occurred during the investigation of an injury hit-and-run collision involving a motorcycle that occurred around 3:40 p.m. near the Claremont Avenue offramp in Oakland, according to the CHP.
Working from a description provided by an off-duty federal law enforcement officer who witnessed the collision, a CHP officer spotted a suspicious vehicle matching that description parked on the shoulder at the Wilder Road offramp around 4 p.m., Lee said.
The CHP officer stopped behind the vehicle, but at some point during the contact the driver allegedly approached the officer in an aggressive manner and refused to comply with orders, Lee said.
The officer opened fire, injuring the driver.
Eastbound lanes of Highway 24 were closed for about two hours during the two investigations on each side of the Caldecott Tunnel, backing traffic up at the height of this evening's rush hour.
The CHP, the sheriff's office and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are jointly investigating the officer-involved shooting, Lee said.
Anyone with information about the incident has been asked to call the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office at (925) 646-2441.
CHP, highway 24, orinda, oakland, caldecott tunnel, crash, crime, shooting, guns, violence, hit and run, east bay news
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Market streets in SF 46 min ago
- Search for missing jetliner now includes 25 countries
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death
- Crimea votes on whether to secede from Ukraine
- Officials investigate cause of house fire
- High surf advisory issued for Bay Area beaches 26 min ago
- Memorial bench to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- CA Republican Party holds convention in Burlingame
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Fundraiser for victims of Indonesia volcano eruption
- Thieves steal gas station ATM in Sonoma County
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos