East Bay News
One dead, two critically injured after crash in Hayward
HAYWARD, Calif. -- One person was killed and two others injured when a pickup truck crashed into a parked vehicle in Hayward early Sunday morning, a police sergeant said.
Police and fire units responded to reports of a collision involving a gray Nissan pickup on Industrial Boulevard and Hall Road at about 4:15 a.m., Hayward police Sgt. Chad Olthoff said.
The truck had been traveling at high speed when it crashed into the rear of a dump truck that was legally parked on the side of Industrial Boulevard, Olthoff said.
A 24-year-old man sitting in the right passenger seat was pronounced dead at the scene, Olthoff said. He was later identified as Orfil Sanchez, of Hayward.
The driver of the pickup and a passenger sitting in the middle of the front seat suffered life-threatening injuries, Olthoff said. Both victims were taken to Stanford Hospital.
There was no update on their conditions as of 11:30 a.m., he said.
None of the three victims were wearing seatbelts at the time of the crash, according to police.
A preliminary investigation indicated that alcohol was likely a factor.
Anyone who might have witnessed the crash was urged to contact Hayward police at (510) 293-7099.
hayward, crash, east bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 1 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks 58 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
1 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting...
58 min ago