East Bay News
Teen boy killed, 2 others injured in Danville crash
DANVILLE, Calif. (KGO) -- A deadly accident in the East Bay is weighing on the minds of faculty and students on their first day back from summer vacation after one of their classmates, 17-year-old Robert Orlando, was killed.
Counselors have been sent to San Ramon Valley High School to help students who knew the young victim deal with their grief.
The morning at SRVHS began with an announcement and a moment of silence for the would-be senior who never made it to the first day of school. Orlando was killed Monday night when the car he was a passenger in ran off El Capitan Drive in Danville crashed into a tree and through a fence. He died at the hospital.
"I went to the lake with him and a few family friends, with, of his. And I just, he was so funny, and he just, like, lit up a room. He was, like, so cool," said Cassidy Barry.
Orlando was a bus boy and pizza maker at Ascona Pizza Company. His manager says he was one of his most reliable employees.
The survivors of the crash are also seniors at San Ramon Valley High. The driver and the other passenger are in stable condition, being treated for broken ribs and a broken leg.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. Police say they don't think alcohol or drugs were a factor but do say speed could have been a cause.
"Is not how you want to start school. The first day of school, with grief counselors, is not the way you want to start," said Terry Koehne of the San Ramon Valley Unified School District.
"You know, he was really cool. He just didn't care what anyone thought. It's just, he was a really nice kid," said Barry.
danville, crash, east bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep 14 min ago
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 16 min ago
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
16 min ago