East Bay News
Teen boy killed, 2 others injured in Danville crash
DANVILLE, Calif. (KGO) -- A deadly accident in the East Bay is weighing on the minds of faculty and students on their first day back from summer vacation after one of their classmates, 17-year-old Robert Orlando, was killed.
Counselors have been sent to San Ramon Valley High School to help students who knew the young victim deal with their grief.
The morning at SRVHS began with an announcement and a moment of silence for the would-be senior who never made it to the first day of school. Orlando was killed Monday night when the car he was a passenger in ran off El Capitan Drive in Danville crashed into a tree and through a fence. He died at the hospital.
"I went to the lake with him and a few family friends, with, of his. And I just, he was so funny, and he just, like, lit up a room. He was, like, so cool," said Cassidy Barry.
Orlando was a bus boy and pizza maker at Ascona Pizza Company. His manager says he was one of his most reliable employees.
The survivors of the crash are also seniors at San Ramon Valley High. The driver and the other passenger are in stable condition, being treated for broken ribs and a broken leg.
The cause of the crash is under investigation. Police say they don't think alcohol or drugs were a factor but do say speed could have been a cause.
"Is not how you want to start school. The first day of school, with grief counselors, is not the way you want to start," said Terry Koehne of the San Ramon Valley Unified School District.
"You know, he was really cool. He just didn't care what anyone thought. It's just, he was a really nice kid," said Barry.
danville, crash, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos