East Bay News
CHP officer killed in the line of duty remembered one year later
MARTINEZ, Calif. (KGO) -- A solemn anniversary, as Thursday marks one year since Bay Area California Highway Patrol Ofc. Kenyon Youngstrom was killed in the line of duty.
A new memorial sits outside of the California Highway Patrol station in Martinez, where 37-year-old Youngstrom worked and is now remembered. Three of Youngstrom's four children unveiled the memorial.
"You know, it's one of those indelible moments that's going to live with everybody," CHP Capt. Todd Garr said.
On this day last year during the morning commute, the 7-year veteran encountered a driver on the shoulder of Interstate 680 in Alamo. The driver had been pulled over for an obstructed license plate. That driver suddenly pulled out gun and shot Youngstrom in the neck and killed him.
CHP Ofc. Tyler Carleton was pulling up right behind the suspect's car as it happened. He immediately drew his weapon and killed 36-year-old Christopher Boone Lacey.
Youngstrom died at the hospital leaving behind his wife Karen, two sons and two daughters. Youngstrom's fellow officers made a promise to care for them.
"In fact, there son who is attending college, we've been in contact with that CHP area and they've checked on him," Garr said.
Youngstrom's brother attended Thursday's ceremony and became part of what the CHP considers their extended family.
The memorial will eventually honor four other past CHP officers who died in the line of duty.
shooting, CHP, contra costa county, guns, mental health, east bay news, alan wang
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos