East Bay News
Burglar hits fire station as crews battle Morgan Fire
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- Crews who were on the front lines of a local fire found themselves the victims of thieves. Firefighters who rushed to save homes in Contra Costa County were targeted by burglars at the fire house.
"They probably came up with some kind of crow bar, stuck it in there and then popped the door open," said Contra Costa Co. Fire Capt. Robert Marshall.
And just like that, the thieves were inside Fire Station 7 in Walnut Creek. The station was empty Sunday and Monday because all of the firefighters had rushed out to fight the Morgan Fire atop Mount Diablo.
The burglars broke into lockers, desks, and gym bags and stole money, the captain's iPad and personal of items like the wedding band and watch engineer Judon Cherry's wife gave him.
"You are out there saving other citizens' lives and property and helping them preserve theirs and you come back and to see your house has been violated," said Cherry.
"It's just a slap in the face. Who thinks to do that kind of thing?" said Marshall.
But this wasn't just a onetime thing.
Those at Station 7 think the same thieves went to Station 3 across town, the very next day. They tried to break in through a window, but a sleeping firefighter who was just inches away from the window, heard the commotion and scared the thief away. Those who live in this normally quiet community can't believe what's happened.
"Oh my gosh, that's horrible! My gosh, that surprises me!" said Walnut Creek resident Beth Anne Gardner.
"That's very, very sad. It's just kind of disturbing!" said Walnut Creek resident Javid Dean.
The Contra Costa County Fire Protection District is now considering installing security cameras and extra locks at all of the fire stations.
mount diablo, fire, cal fire, clayton, evacuation, animal, animals in peril, east bay news, lisa amin gulezian
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3 11 min ago
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz 49 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke 37 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday