East Bay News
Massive Mount Diablo fire 100 percent contained
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A fire that has burned more than 3,000 acres in and around Mount Diablo State Park over the past week has been 100 percent contained, Cal Fire officials said Saturday.
The Morgan Fire, which was initially reported around 1 p.m. Sunday off of Morgan Territory Road near the park and southeast of Clayton, was fully contained at 3,111 acres as of 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Cal Fire officials said.
Winds and dry vegetation helped fuel the fire, which prompted the evacuation of some 75 homes. Residents were allowed to return to their homes by Tuesday, according to fire officials.
Cal Fire will be handing command of the fire back over to local fire agencies today and resources are being demobilized, but firefighters will continue working to mop up inside the fire containment lines, according to Cal Fire.
Around 231 firefighting personnel remain on the scene, Cal Fire officials said.
Fire investigators have determined that target shooting in the area on Sunday caused the Morgan Fire.
In a statement released by Cal Fire, fire officials urged people living or visiting California to "be extra cautious with any activity that may cause a spark."
Mount Diablo State Park is on track to partially reopen on Monday, and crews are working to fix park trails and structures damaged in the blaze, according to park officials.
mount diablo, fire, cal fire, clayton, evacuation, animal, animals in peril, east bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support 20 min ago
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 46 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 49 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 43 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 46 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos