East Bay News
Massive Mount Diablo fire 100 percent contained
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A fire that has burned more than 3,000 acres in and around Mount Diablo State Park over the past week has been 100 percent contained, Cal Fire officials said Saturday.
The Morgan Fire, which was initially reported around 1 p.m. Sunday off of Morgan Territory Road near the park and southeast of Clayton, was fully contained at 3,111 acres as of 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Cal Fire officials said.
Winds and dry vegetation helped fuel the fire, which prompted the evacuation of some 75 homes. Residents were allowed to return to their homes by Tuesday, according to fire officials.
Cal Fire will be handing command of the fire back over to local fire agencies today and resources are being demobilized, but firefighters will continue working to mop up inside the fire containment lines, according to Cal Fire.
Around 231 firefighting personnel remain on the scene, Cal Fire officials said.
Fire investigators have determined that target shooting in the area on Sunday caused the Morgan Fire.
In a statement released by Cal Fire, fire officials urged people living or visiting California to "be extra cautious with any activity that may cause a spark."
Mount Diablo State Park is on track to partially reopen on Monday, and crews are working to fix park trails and structures damaged in the blaze, according to park officials.
mount diablo, fire, cal fire, clayton, evacuation, animal, animals in peril, east bay news
- Protest continues at CCSF; rally planned at city hall
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport 5 min ago
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos