East Bay News
Dog mauling victim meets firefighters who rescued him
ANTIOCH, Calif. (KGO) -- A 10-year-old Antioch boy continues to recover after being attacked by at least one of his neighbor's pit bulls. On Monday Hunter Kilbourn went back to thank the firefighters who rescued him.
The last time firefighters with the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District saw Hunter they were responding to a pit bull attack.
One or two of his neighbors' dogs ripped the 10-year-old boy's face last month. He spent nine days in the hospital and has had two surgeries including a skin graft. Monday, Hunter and his family dropped by the firehouse to say thank you.
When we asked Hunter what he remembers about the firefighters from that day, Hunter replied, "They helped me out like a ton. So I'm just happy that they came."
He brought them a gift of red vines. They gave him Legos to build fire trucks.
"It reminds me why I do this job and we're real happy to see him doing well," said Contra Costa Fire Capt. Eddie Gonzales.
The firefighters say reunions like this with people they rescue don't happen very often.
"We kind of get to close a loop and the healing process can begin, not just for him, but for some of the things we see," said Contra Costa firefighter Tim Gleeson.
The visit included a VIP tour of the station and a ride around the block on a rig. Hunter is back in fourth grade part time while he heals, both physically and emotionally. The pit bulls are in county custody and may be put down.
"That dog is not a nice dog. I've been having bad dreams," said Hunter.
"We love you, we're glad you're OK. You're awesome, you're one strong kid," said firefighter Mike Boehmer as he gave Hunter a hug.
The owners of the pit bulls are fighting to save their dogs. A hearing is tentatively scheduled at Antioch City Hall for next week.
antioch, dog attack, children, animal, martinez, uc davis, animals in peril, east bay news, carolyn tyler
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze 33 min ago
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music 52 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday