East Bay News
Casual carpoolers robbed at gunpoint in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Casual carpoolers waiting in line at an Oakland pickup stop were the victims of a brazen armed robbery Monday morning.
"When you have someone standing there with a gun, holding a gun and threatening, what are you going to do?" victim Sylvie Mwila asked.
So Mwila and seven other casual carpoolers gave up their valuables Monday morning at the pickup stop at Claremont Avenue and Hudson Street in Oakland's Rockridge neighborhood.
Mwila says three young men walked toward those standing in line. She saw one of them pull out a gun.
"One of them went in front of everybody and he signaled this was a robbery and told us to give them everything," Mwila said.
Mwila said the robbers hit the jackpot.
"They took backpacks, they took wallets, they took iPhones, iPads," she said. "People offered to give them money, including myself. They took everything."
In recent weeks, armed robbers have been preying on the well-to-do Rockridge neighborhood. There have been several incidents where young African American men armed with guns have been victimizing pedestrians and even offices.
"I've never had a gun pointed at me before this event of my life, so now I know what that feels like," robbery victim Andy Lee said.
Lee became a victim of a strong-arm robbery on Friday. He was working at his office not far from the casual carpool stop when two robbers barged in.
"They stole my shoulder bag, which contained my wallet, some checkbooks," he said.
Lee and others blame the recent surge of brazen robberies in upscale Rockridge on the shortage of Oakland police.
"Having to focus their time and effort on much more dangerous parts of the city means that more affluent parts are vulnerable to this type of activity," Lee said.
Late Monday afternoon, Oakland police said they detained three men in connection with Monday morning's robbery. They gave no other details.
crime, oakland, east bay news, vic lee
- Target apologizes after massive data breach
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming devices
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed 3 min ago
- CPUC considering fine against PG&E for faulty pipeline
- Katie Couric's talk show to end after this season
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Pa. man wins $1M Picasso with $138 raffle ticket
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday 27 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
27 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos