East Bay News
Police arrest 2 suspects in casual carpool armed robbery
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Police have arrested two people in connection with the robbery of a number of casual carpool riders in Oakland on Monday morning.
One suspect was identified as 22-year-old Delante Johnson, and the other is a male juvenile whose name is not being released, Oakland police said.
The robbery occurred at about 9 a.m. Monday on Hudson Street, near state Highway 24.
Police said commuters were lined up at the casual carpool pickup spot waiting for rides to San Francisco when they were robbed at gunpoint of their electronic devices and other items.
Investigators later detained three people in connection with the robbery, and police said today that two have been arrested.
Three guns were recovered during a search of the suspects' home, according to police, who credited the "great observation skills of the involved community members" for the arrests.
Both Johnson and the juvenile are Oakland residents, police said.
Anyone with more information on the case is asked to call the Police Department's robbery section at (510) 238-3326.
crime, oakland, east bay news
- Plane's disappearance result of "deliberate action"
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos