East Bay News
Man sought after punching Safeway manager
SAN LEANDRO, Calif. (KGO) -- A disturbing attack at an East Bay supermarket was caught on surveillance video. Now, police are asking for help identifying the attacker. It happened at the Safeway on Bancroft and Dutton avenues in San Leandro.
Just before 11 a.m. Monday, a surveillance camera caught images of the suspect going up and down the aisles. After a couple minutes, he and the store manager cross paths, there's a brief exchange, and a sudden punch.
The suspect ran out immediately without taking anything.
Police believe the public can help identify the suspect.
"We're pretty confident whoever sees it will recognize the suspect, whether it's a family member or a friend and hopefully bring that information forward," San Leandro Police Lt. Randy Brandt said.
A co-worker says the 51-year-old manager lives in Orinda, and has been at the store for three years.
"He's a good guy, he makes everybody laugh, he tells us stories, he got this place to be a lot more lively," co-worker Xochtil Pinedo said.
Pinedo says she visited the victim in the hospital Tuesday, but was not allowed to talk to him. His family was there.
"It looks like he's going to be OK but I hope they catch the guy," Pinedo said.
San Leandro police have sent the suspects image to other law enforcement agencies as well.
safeway, san leandro, crime, east bay news, heather ishimaru
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View
- Family escapes house fire in Oakland overnight 52 min ago
- Hwy 85 connector ramp reopened after fatal crash 29 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday