East Bay News
Toddler hit by car n Pittsburg dies from injuries
PITTSBURG, Calif. -- A 2-year-old girl who was struck by an SUV after running into a street in Pittsburg earlier this week has died, a police lieutenant said Friday.
The toddler, identified by the Alameda County coroner's bureau as Ameeya McDonald, of Pittsburg, underwent multiple surgeries at Children's Hospital in Oakland but ultimately succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, according to Pittsburg police Lt. Ron Raman.
Ameeya was with her family visiting friends and relatives in the 100 block of Jimno Avenue around 6 p.m. Monday when she ran after a ball into the street, according to Raman.
Raman said she was following other children who also ran into the street after the ball when she was struck by an oncoming SUV. None of the other children were injured.
The SUV's driver, a 30-year-old Pittsburg man who said he didn't see Ameeya, stopped immediately and attempted to render first aid at the scene.
"He was very distraught about it, it's a tragic accident," Raman said. "He is cooperating with our investigation but we have no reason to believe that impairment or speed were factors."
child death, children, crash, pittsburg, east bay news
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Former SF supe sued; New Sebastopol mayor
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday