East Bay News
Newark cop finds abandoned dog tied up, giving birth
NEWARK, Calif. (KGO) -- Police in Newark are trying to find the person who left their dog tied to a park bench while it was having puppies.
Officer Jennifer Bloom pulled up to a park in Newark and found an abandoned German Shepherd tied to a bench. It was pregnant and in labor.
"You know we go through training on how to help a woman deliver a baby, but we never had to deal with puppies," said Bloom.
Bloom who spoke to us via FaceTime says the dog was in distress and she was trying to bury one of her puppies that was already dead. Carefully, bloom removed the dog and took it to the Central Veterinary Hospital in Fremont.
"I heard some puppies screaming in the back and I knew she was actively giving birth to more as I was driving over there," said Bloom.
"The police officer was knocking on the back door. She was a little freaked out, just like I was," said Veterinary assistant Beatriz Retana.
Retana says the German Shepherd appeared to be a first-time mother, less than a year old. And after delivering three puppies at the pet hospital they had a strong suspicion there might be more.
"There are actually four fetuses that you can actually count. You go from skull and down the spine," said veterinary technician Elizabeth Jardine-Pereira.
She had a total of nine puppies, but two of them did not survive.
"She's been a great mom. She had a rough time... a really rough time," said Jardine-Pereira.
Police are investigating this as an animal cruelty case. There was no microchip or tags, so the veterinary workers named her "Bristol" and if no one claims the dog, she and her puppies will be available for adoption.
newark, animal, animals in peril, east bay news, alan wang
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate 48 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Death of woman found in home considered homicide
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 26 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
26 min ago
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was...
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos