East Bay News
Boy suffers severe dog bite in Discovery Bay home
DISCOVERY BAY, Calif. -- A 6-year-old boy is in the hospital after being attacked by a dog at a Discovery Bay home on Thursday.
Around 7:30 p.m., someone at a home on Amesbury Court called to report that a child at the residence suffered a severe dog bite to the face, Contra Costa County Animal Services Lt. Jane Andreotti said.
The boy was taken to Children's Hospital in Oakland where he immediately underwent surgery and remained this morning, Andreotti said.
She said the dog, a brown Chesapeake Bay Retriever, does not have a record of violent behavior.
Andreotti said the dog belonged to a family friend or relative, but that the owner was not around at the time of the attack.
Animal Services personnel took the dog from the home and placed it in rabies quarantine, where it is now being held.
An investigation into the attack is ongoing.
discovery bay, animal, animals in peril, children, oakland, east bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33 54 min ago
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 35 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest 12 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M 51 min ago
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 39 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster...
54 min ago