East Bay News
Officer shoots fleeing auto theft suspect armed with knife
VALLEJO, Calif. -- A Vallejo police officer shot and injured an armed suspect after he allegedly pointed a silver object toward the officer early this morning, police said.
The shooting occurred around 1:35 a.m. after a police officer in a marked patrol car spotted a man driving a stolen Nissan Sentra into a motel parking lot in the 200 block of Lincoln Road West, according to police.
Police said the officer stopped the Nissan and the driver exited the car and began to flee through the motel parking lot despite directions to stop.
As he chased the suspect, the officer saw a silver weapon in the suspect's back pocket and the suspect could be seen reaching into his waistband, according to police.
The officer used a Taser on the suspect in an attempt to stop him, but the suspect got away.
Police said at one point during the chase, the suspect spun toward the officer and pointed his right arm toward him with a silver object in hand.
Worried that the suspect was armed, the officer fired at the suspect, striking him, police said.
The suspect suffered a non-life-threatening wound and was taken to an area hospital.
Police said officers found a knife with a silver blade and brown handle in the suspect's pockets and a set of keys near his hand.
The suspect is a 41-year-old Vallejo man who is on probation in connection with crimes in Contra Costa County, according to police.
Police said his criminal record includes felony convictions for crimes including false imprisonment, auto theft, brandishing replica firearms and drug offenses, according to police.
The officer involved in the early-morning shooting, a six-year law enforcement veteran, has been placed on paid administrative leave.
The incident is being investigated by the Solano County District Attorney's Office and the Vallejo Police Department.
crime, vallejo, shooting, east bay news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations 24 min ago
- Bay Area wakes up to frost as cold snap hits 55 min ago
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family 33 min ago
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- BART unions file lawsuit against transit agency
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- LAX shooting suspect makes court appearance 5 min ago
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- 'TipsforJesus' leaving giant tips at restaurants
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest 10 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Crews call for reinforcements to find...
33 min ago