East Bay News
Cal student robbed at campus shuttle bus stop
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A female student was robbed while waiting for a shuttle bus on the University of California at Berkeley campus Thursday evening, university police said.
At about 7:45 p.m. on Thursday, a 19-year-old female student was standing at the shuttle bus pick-up location at 2424 Channing Way, near Telegraph Avenue, when the male suspect approached her from behind, according to university police.
The suspect shoved the victim and stole her cellphone. He fled west on Channing Way and then turned south onto Dana Street. According to university police, the victim was not injured during the robbery.
Police searched the area but did not find the suspect.
According to police, the suspect is described as a black male, about 19 years of age, standing 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighing about 170 pounds. He was wearing a black jacket and blue jeans.
The robbery is the second reported near the campus on Thursday.
Around 5:30 a.m. that day a 57-year-old woman walking near Berkeley Way and Oxford Street was robbed by a man armed with a gun, according to university police.
The victim in that case sustained minor injuries after she was pushed to the ground but declined medical attention.
Anyone with information is urged to contact university police during business hours at (510) 642-0472 or after hours at (510) 642-6760.
berkeley, uc berkeley, crime, violence, east bay news
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Obama hams it up for health care on Funny or Die 42 min ago
- Crews fix broken water main in SF's Lower Haight
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday