East Bay News
Suspect in attempted child abduction in Lafayette arrested
LAFAYETTE, Calif. -- A suspect has been arrested in connection with the alleged attempted kidnapping of a child earlier Saturday, according to Lafayette police.
Ralph Grohs, a 57-year-old transient who frequents the Lafayette area, was located around 5 p.m. Saturday at the Lafayette Library on Mt. Diablo Boulevard, according to police.
He was arrested on suspicion of attempted kidnapping and probation violation.
Police began a search for a suspect after a parent reported a man attempting to grab her 8-year-old child in Lafayette Saturday morning.
The parent said a disheveled looking man held out his hand to grab the child's hand around 11:30 a.m. on Golden Gate Way near the Lafayette Library and Learning Center, Police Chief Eric Christensen said.
The parent called her child over, and the man began to approach them.
Feeling threatened, the parent ran away and the man followed. When the parent entered a business, the suspect attempted to follow her inside but the door was closed against him, Christensen said. He then fled the area.
While the suspect's exact intentions remained somewhat unclear, "I'd much rather err on the side of caution," Christensen said this afternoon as police searched the area.
The suspect was described as a "disheveled" white adult male man around 60 years old with gray hair, a pockmarked or wrinkled face and possible mental health issues, according to police. He was wearing a dark green shirt or jacket with long sleeves.
child abduction, children, lafayette, homeless, crime, east bay news
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire 37 min ago
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420" 56 min ago
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum
- One killed in boating accident in Redwood City 19 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Sandoval's single lifts Giants past Dodgers, 2-1 29 min ago
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Crawford's 41 points leads Warriors over Nuggets 17 min ago
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
39 min ago
- Video shows burglar prowling in baby's room
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos