East Bay News
Union City police fatally shoot armed suspect
UNION CITY, Calif. -- A police officer fatally shot an armed suspect at a residence in Union City on Monday night, according to police.
At about 8:30 p.m. on Monday Union City police officers were dispatched to a report of a neighborhood disturbance in the 4200 block of Saturn Way, near Contempo Park, police said.
Officers arrived at the residence and learned that one of the suspects inside the residence was on parole and had a warrant for resisting or deterring an officer by use of threat, force or violence, police said.
Police made contact with the suspect and entered the residence. Officers located the suspect, who was armed with a pipe, police said.
According to police, the suspect was confrontational and refused to comply with the verbal orders given by officers.
When the suspect threatened the officers with the pipe, an officer fired his weapon at the suspect.
The suspect was transported to a local hospital, where he died of his injuries, police said.
In accordance with the police department's policy on officer-involved shootings, the officer who shot at the suspect will be put on administrative leave, police said.
The incident will be investigated independently by both the Union City Police Department and the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is urged to contact police at (510) 471-1365 or may do so anonymously at (510) 675-5207 or via tipsunioncity.org.
union city, crime, shooting, east bay news
- Large marijuana grow found at home in Hayward
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- Fairfield man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Tree removal dispute; Weed-laced brownies 41 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos