East Bay News
River otter spotted at Oakland's Lake Merritt
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland's recently revitalized Lake Merritt is making a comeback, and we have the photos to prove it!
Berkeley resident Greg Lewis was out for a row on the lake when he spotted a river otter squirming around on a dock.
He snapped several photos of the creature. It's the first otter spotted on the lake in decades.
This year, the city began reopening a channel connecting the Oakland estuary and the lake.
Tests show bacteria levels and trash floating in the lake has dropped dramatically.
oakland, lake merritt, animal, animals in peril, east bay news
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival 49 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun 49 min ago
- Man prefers 3D-printed hand to pricey prostheses 14 min ago
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher 53 min ago
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway...
49 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos