East Bay News
River otter spotted at Oakland's Lake Merritt
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakland's recently revitalized Lake Merritt is making a comeback, and we have the photos to prove it!
Berkeley resident Greg Lewis was out for a row on the lake when he spotted a river otter squirming around on a dock.
He snapped several photos of the creature. It's the first otter spotted on the lake in decades.
This year, the city began reopening a channel connecting the Oakland estuary and the lake.
Tests show bacteria levels and trash floating in the lake has dropped dramatically.
oakland, lake merritt, animal, animals in peril, east bay news
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday