East Bay News
Siblings killed in 2003 drunk driving crash to be honored
DANVILLE, Calif. -- A Danville couple whose two children were struck and killed by a drunk driver a decade ago will honor their memory in Danville this weekend.
The memorial for Troy Pack and his younger sister Alana will be held from 4 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Sycamore Valley Elementary School, located at 2200 Holbrook Drive in Danville.
The event comes 10 years after the Oct. 26, 2003 deaths of Troy, 10, and Alana, 7. That evening, the siblings were riding their scooter and bicycle along with their mother and two friends in Danville when a gold Mercedes Benz sedan drove onto the sidewalk, running over and killing them.
Police and prosecutors said the driver, then 45-year-old nanny and Colombian citizen Jimena Barreto, had consumed alcohol and prescription drugs before getting behind the wheel that night.
Barreto fled the scene and was on the run for two days before she was apprehended in Santa Clara County.
A jury in 2005 found her guilty of two counts of second-degree murder and she received a 30-year state prison term, which she continues to serve.
Since that time, Troy and Alana's parents, Bob and Carmen Pack, have lobbied against drunk driving through their Troy and Alana Pack Foundation.
After years of advocacy work, Gov. Jerry Brown last month signed a bill proposed by Bob Pack and state Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord) to update the state's Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System, or CURES, meant to fight prescription drug abuse.
In addition to their lobbying efforts, the Packs say they are kept busy raising their 7-year-old daughter.
danville, hit and run, children, east bay news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday