East Bay News
Artist shares story of original Bay Bridge troll
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- A famous good luck charm on the old span of the Bay Bridge is now out of hiding and on display. The troll found a secret home when workers were repairing the span after the Loma Prieta earthquake. Tuesday, the artist shared its story.
Bill Roan was a blacksmith at an Oakland ornamental iron shop when the Loma Prieta earthquake tore apart the upper deck of the Bay Bridge.
Ironworkers repairing the bridge knew Roan and his work and asked for a mythical figure to place on the bridge as a protector.
"I told him I thought it was the stupidest idea I ever heard," Roan said. "No one would let me put a sculpture on the bridge and it was probably against the law."
He made it anyway over the course of three days. He researched earthquake mythology for inspiration but came up empty, so he turned to the children's tale "The Three Billygoats Gruff."
Ironworkers welded the troll to the side of the repaired cantilever.
"There was no permitting, no public funds, no environmental impact report, no scoping meetings," Roan said. "It was a completely rogue act."
A new troll, created by another artist, will be installed on the new bridge. Roan would like his original to join the new one there, but for now its fate is uncertain.
The original troll will be on display at the Oakland Museum of California through February.
bay bridge, earthquake, oakland, traffic, construction, transportation, san francisco bay, art, east bay news, heather ishimaru
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 36 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire 15 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos