East Bay News
Pittsburg chlorine leak warning lifted after tank drained
PITTSBURG, Calif. -- Contra Costa County Health Services has lifted a warning issued near the K2 Pure Solutions chemical plant Thursday evening after the risk of a chlorine gas leak at the facility was neutralized.
There was no leak at the facility, but there was a risk that the tank could begin leaking, prompting the warning until the tank was emptied of chlorine, county health services spokeswoman Vicky Balladares said.
Those living within 1 mile south of 901 Loveridge Road in Pittsburg were advised to close their doors and windows as a precaution due to a potential leak in the tank belonging to K2 Solutions. The tank is located at the at the Dow Chemical, Co. site, where K2 Solutions rents space, according to county health services officials.
Anyone living in that area with a preexisting condition or respiratory sensitivity was advised to consider leaving the area.
Chlorine gas can affect the lungs and in high concentrations, may cause severe injuries, according to county health officials.
County health officials recommend that residents keep up with health emergencies through their posts on Facebook and Twitter and on their website, www.cococws.us.
pittsburg, hazmat, gas leak, east bay news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California 4 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 8 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
58 min ago