East Bay News
Richmond charity flooded with last-minute Christmas donations
RICHMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- Plenty of elves showed-up in Richmond Christmas Day to help a mother and her family give gifts to the needy.
Edna Campbell spent Christmas morning going through a bunch of presents like she's a kid. But actually, she's more like one of Santa's biggest helpers. Eight years ago, when her family was facing foreclosure, instead of falling apart, her daughter decided it was the best time to give.
"Well to take the focus off of what we were going through, reaching out and helping somebody else, kind of shifted what we were going through. So we thought less of what we were going through by helping someone else," Campbell said.
Since then they've put together a toy giveaway. But on this Christmas Eve, she was still hoping for a miracle. Tuesday, they were worried they were not going to have enough for their giveaway. But just hours later, the whole room is full of presents, and someone just dropped off a whole bunch more that aren't even going to be wrapped.
Two people dropped off an SUV full of toys. And lots of others donated even more gifts.
But this isn't just about giving away toys. A restaurant in San Francisco donated food and all morning long, people dropped off clothes as volunteers sorted and folded them.
"We brought in some shirts and coats and things; we just want to help where we can," Tony Thurmond said.
Just before noon, the doors opened at the Nevin Community Center and dozens of families came in to enjoy Christmas lunch. Campbell was right there to greet everyone.
"This is our family," she said.
She wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
richmond, charities, food, holiday, christmas, foreclosures, east bay news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Fisherman missing after boat crash near Brentwood 5 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3 40 min ago
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday