East Bay News
Union City man robbed, almost dies same day his baby was born
UNION CITY, Calif. (KGO) -- An East Bay man almost lost his life on the same day his baby was born. It was a terrifying encounter with an armed robber who opened fire. Investigators in Union City are still searching for the gunman.
Detectives say this is one of the most brazen crimes they've had in their city in the past year. It happened on the happiest day of this man's life and before he was able to experience the joys of fatherhood, he almost lost it all.
The robbery victim, who did not want to be identified, told ABC7 News, "And I was here and he was like, 'Give me all your money. Give me all your money.' I said, 'OK, OK. Don't shoot anyone. Don't shoot anyone. Here's the money.' And I throw the money right here on the car."
One minute, the man was at a Sikh temple in Fremont thanking God for the birth of his first child earlier in the day. The next minute, he was watching the explosion from the muzzle of a gun pointed at his face.
"I was just right here and he shot at me... And he missed," said the victim who explained the robber was just on the other side of his car, within a few feet. "At the moment I felt like I got shot."
Investigators found the bullet casing, but they haven't found the slug. Police say the suspect also went after the man's sister-in-law who was with her 2-year-old son.
The man told us, "She was holding the baby. She was running into the house and the door was locked. She was screaming."
The suspect fired a shot into the ground toward the baby, grabbed the woman's valuables and ran north on Dyer Street. Police have a very vague description of him.
"We are really hoping that somebody is going to have surveillance on their house that they can check in that time window from about 8:15 to 8:30 time period," said Union City Police Sgt. Brandon Hayward.
It was a day of great joy and great fear for this man.
The robbery victim told us, "I see the fire coming out of the gun."
He says the birth of new life and the near loss of his own will have him traveling back to the temple to thank God several times over.
union city, crime, east bay news, alan wang
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California 34 min ago
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Korean Air A380 hits 2 light poles at LA airport 25 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch