East Bay News
3 homes burned in Kimball Island brush fire
ANTIOCH, Calif. -- Three homes burned in a brush fire Tuesday on Kimball Island, a small island located just north of Antioch, fire and U.S. Coast Guard officials said.
The fire was reported at about 2:30 p.m., according to Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Inspector Steve Aubert.
Plumes of smoke from the blaze were visible in Antioch, but Contra Costa County crews were called away from the scene because Kimball Island is not in the county's jurisdiction, Aubert said.
Coast Guard crews responded to assist in evacuating at least four people off of the island, Lt. j.g. Corinne Gaines said.
Three homes, several outbuildings and 40-50 acres were burned before Solano firefighters cleared the scene just before 9:30 p.m., a Solano fire dispatcher said.
The fire started as a 10-acre brush fire but grew rapidly because of strong wind, according to the Coast Guard.
antioch, contra costa county, sacramento, solano county, fire, east bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week 42 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition 54 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case