East Bay News
Pedestrian walking across I-580 fatally struck
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The California Highway Patrol is asking for help from any witnesses of a crash that killed a man who was walking in the lanes of traffic on eastbound Interstate Highway 580 in Oakland early this morning.
Officers responded to reports of a pedestrian staggering across the lanes of eastbound Highway 580 at Edwards Avenue around 1:10 a.m., Officer Daniel Hill said.
As officers were en route to the scene, the CHP received additional reports saying the pedestrian had been struck by a vehicle in the second lane from the left, according to the Hill.
Officers arrived at the scene and found a man lying near the center divider on the eastbound side of Highway 580, near Edwards Avenue, Hill said.
A Chrysler 300 was pulled to the right shoulder, just east of the pedestrian's location, he said.
After attempts to revive the pedestrian, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the car told officers the pedestrian, a 35-year-old man whose name has not yet been released, was walking toward the center of the freeway and walked right into her path. The driver was unable to stop, hitting the man, according to Hill.
All lanes were closed for about an hour and a half, and reopened around 2:30 a.m.
The CHP is continuing to investigate the incident. Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the CHP at (510) 450-3821 or (800) 835-5247.
oakland, I-580, east bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward 12 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 47 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos