East Bay News
Pedestrian walking across I-580 fatally struck
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The California Highway Patrol is asking for help from any witnesses of a crash that killed a man who was walking in the lanes of traffic on eastbound Interstate Highway 580 in Oakland early this morning.
Officers responded to reports of a pedestrian staggering across the lanes of eastbound Highway 580 at Edwards Avenue around 1:10 a.m., Officer Daniel Hill said.
As officers were en route to the scene, the CHP received additional reports saying the pedestrian had been struck by a vehicle in the second lane from the left, according to the Hill.
Officers arrived at the scene and found a man lying near the center divider on the eastbound side of Highway 580, near Edwards Avenue, Hill said.
A Chrysler 300 was pulled to the right shoulder, just east of the pedestrian's location, he said.
After attempts to revive the pedestrian, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the car told officers the pedestrian, a 35-year-old man whose name has not yet been released, was walking toward the center of the freeway and walked right into her path. The driver was unable to stop, hitting the man, according to Hill.
All lanes were closed for about an hour and a half, and reopened around 2:30 a.m.
The CHP is continuing to investigate the incident. Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call the CHP at (510) 450-3821 or (800) 835-5247.
oakland, I-580, east bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 4 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros 52 min ago
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
4 min ago