East Bay News
Community mourns death of 11-year-old Oakley boy
OAKLEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakley neighbors are in shock after an 11-year-old boy shot and killed himself at his home.
Oakley police had initially said that Anthony Garcia accidentally shot himself Wednesday night. But investigators now say that it appears the 11-year-old was killed as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
His school was also grieving Thursday morning. A spokesman for the Catholic Diocese said grief counselors are at Holy Rosary School in Antioch, meeting with kids in grades through fifth through eighth. Father Roberto is on hand to meet with the kids as needed and will hold a prayer service at the end of the day.
The family's next door neighbor said that AJ, as he was known, was a sweet kid who was always playing with his dog.
"It's pretty surprising because I used to see him every day before I biked to school. I used to say hi to his mom and they would smile back to us. They used to mow our lawn. So it's kind of weird knowing that something like this has struck them," said Savannah Santana, neighbor.
The family is receiving support from a number of people have come to visit the home today. Neighbors say Anthony lived here with his parents and grandmother.
Police have not said who was at the home with Anthony last night or who owned the gun.
oakley, shooting, guns, children, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 49 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill 9 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case 9 min ago