East Bay News
Community mourns death of 11-year-old Oakley boy
OAKLEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Oakley neighbors are in shock after an 11-year-old boy shot and killed himself at his home.
Oakley police had initially said that Anthony Garcia accidentally shot himself Wednesday night. But investigators now say that it appears the 11-year-old was killed as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
His school was also grieving Thursday morning. A spokesman for the Catholic Diocese said grief counselors are at Holy Rosary School in Antioch, meeting with kids in grades through fifth through eighth. Father Roberto is on hand to meet with the kids as needed and will hold a prayer service at the end of the day.
The family's next door neighbor said that AJ, as he was known, was a sweet kid who was always playing with his dog.
"It's pretty surprising because I used to see him every day before I biked to school. I used to say hi to his mom and they would smile back to us. They used to mow our lawn. So it's kind of weird knowing that something like this has struck them," said Savannah Santana, neighbor.
The family is receiving support from a number of people have come to visit the home today. Neighbors say Anthony lived here with his parents and grandmother.
Police have not said who was at the home with Anthony last night or who owned the gun.
oakley, shooting, guns, children, east bay news, amy hollyfield
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 13 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 7 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos