East Bay News
Fundraiser for Oakland mom who lost 2 sons in 19 days
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Family and friends are raising money for a mother who lost both of her teenage sons in two separate shootings in Oakland within three weeks of each other.
Saturday's BBQ fundraiser is to cover funeral costs for 19-year-old Lamar Broussard, who died in a drive-by shooting. It happened near the corner of 100th and Longfellow avenues last Sunday.
His mom was already in mourning over her other son, 13-year-old Lee Weathersby, who was shot less than a mile away. He died in the hospital on New Year's Day.
"The response has been great," said the victims' mother, Dinyal New. "It's been wonderful. People have just been coming and donating with or without a plate. We also have a GoFundMe link setup on my behalf."
New says she is trying to stay strong. She doesn't know if the killings are related, but says no one outside the family knew the boys were half-brothers.
For donation information, click here.
oakland, shooting, crime, OPD, guns, drive by shooting, fundraiser, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes 50 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos