East Bay News
CAIR holds gathering to pray for rain to ease drought
PLEASANTON, Calif. (KGO) -- Members of the Bay Area's Muslim community attended a special service on Saturday to pray for rain to ease the drought.
It was another beautiful day to get out and enjoy the sunny weather. But with the ongoing drought, there are some people who are literally praying for rain.
At the Alameda County Fairgrounds, members of the Bay Area Chapter of the Council on American Islamic Relations gathered for a special prayer service. According to their traditions, their Prophet Mohammed taught about a special prayer when their people went through drought conditions in Saudi Arabia more than 1,400 years ago.
"Right now they're just dong the regular prayer that we do every day," event organizer Irfan Rydhan said. "Then after that there will be the special prayer to ask god for the special blessings of rain."
A similar prayer service was also held weeks ago in Sacramento.
Bay Area residents are already among the most water conscious users in the state. But there are some simple strategies to cut water use even more.
For example, turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth or doing dishes can save two gallons of water a minute. Shorter showers also help. Each minute you cut saves two and a half gallons. And of course using a broom to clean up sidewalks and driveways is better than spraying them down.
For more water conservation tips and rebates from the Bay Area's water suppliers, click here.
water, drought, religion, pleasanton, east bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 5 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 7 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos