East Bay News
I-80 reopened in Dixon after CHP shooting
DIXON -- A suspect in an armed assault involving a sawed-off shotgun in Sacramento and a car theft in Concord was shot by a California Highway Patrol officer in Dixon last night, a CHP spokesman said.
CHP officers in the Solano County area were told to be on the lookout for a stolen car out of Concord with a suspect driving that was believed to be involved with the Sacramento assault, CHP Officer Daniel Hill said.
They spotted the car on eastbound Interstate Highway 80 near Pedrick Road shortly before 8 p.m. and pulled the car over, Hill said. Since the suspect was believed to have been involved in a violent incident, officers brought along their department-issued shotgun.
The suspect in the car refused to comply with the officers' orders and eventually got out of the car and charged at the two officers, Hill said. One officer shot the suspect with the shotgun.
As the two officers tried to provide medical aid, the suspect remained combative and fought with the officers but was eventually subdued and taken to a hospital, Hill said. Hill did not know the extent of his injuries.
The subsequent investigation necessitated closing all eastbound lanes of the highway from Pendrick Road to Kidwell Road. All lanes were reopened overnight.
shooting, CHP, east bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off 5 min ago
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos