East Bay News
Amber Alert issued after carjacking, kidnapping in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- An Amber Alert was issued Tuesday after a carjacking and kidnapping of a 13-year-old girl and adult was reported near a Safeway store on Redwood Road in Oakland.
Police are still desperately searching for a red sedan and two people inside who are believed to have been kidnapped at knifepoint from the parking lot.
The car the suspect is believed to be driving is a red sedan with California license plate 6JFM648.
The suspect was inside the store just before 1 p.m., when he drew the attention of store employees who thought he was trying to shoplift.
The man argued with a clerk and ran from the supermarket with a knife in hand and then jumped into a sedan at the Safeway on Redwood Road at Highway 13.
"The occupants of the car are described as African American occupants, an elderly gentleman and possibly a 13-year-old girl," Oakland Police Department spokesperson Johnna Watson said.
"We usually don't have things happening up here in the hills. This is getting to be a little bit concerning," one woman said.
"It's sad. The whole thing is sad. It's a sad situation. It's sad that somebody has to steal food and it's sad that some innocent people are getting hijacked," shopper Susan Richardson said.
The kidnapper is described as a black male in his 30's, with salt and pepper hair, about 5'6" or 5'7" tall, weighing 165 pounds, wearing a blue jacket and blue jeans.
The FBI stepped in by Tuesday night and helped enhance a photo of the suspect form the Safeway surveillance camera. The suspect could be seen wearing silver headphones and a uniquely striped scarf.
Witnesses say the man stole some steaks and two or three lobsters.
Police say no one has reported anyone with the description of the girl or elderly man as missing. Witnesses said it looked like the people in the car did not know the suspect.
Police say until they receive word otherwise, they will continue investigating this case as a carjacking and abduction.
If you have any information regarding this case that may help police, please call the Oakland Police Department at 510-238-3641.
ABC7 News reporter Alan Wang contributed to this report.
oakland, carjacking, child abduction, children, crime, east bay news, laura anthony
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock 22 min ago
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 41 min ago
- Minnie Driver faces body bullies, tweets nude photo 33 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan