East Bay News
Amber Alert issued after carjacking, kidnapping in Oakland
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- An Amber Alert was issued Tuesday after a carjacking and kidnapping of a 13-year-old girl and adult was reported near a Safeway store on Redwood Road in Oakland.
Police are still desperately searching for a red sedan and two people inside who are believed to have been kidnapped at knifepoint from the parking lot.
The car the suspect is believed to be driving is a red sedan with California license plate 6JFM648.
The suspect was inside the store just before 1 p.m., when he drew the attention of store employees who thought he was trying to shoplift.
The man argued with a clerk and ran from the supermarket with a knife in hand and then jumped into a sedan at the Safeway on Redwood Road at Highway 13.
"The occupants of the car are described as African American occupants, an elderly gentleman and possibly a 13-year-old girl," Oakland Police Department spokesperson Johnna Watson said.
"We usually don't have things happening up here in the hills. This is getting to be a little bit concerning," one woman said.
"It's sad. The whole thing is sad. It's a sad situation. It's sad that somebody has to steal food and it's sad that some innocent people are getting hijacked," shopper Susan Richardson said.
The kidnapper is described as a black male in his 30's, with salt and pepper hair, about 5'6" or 5'7" tall, weighing 165 pounds, wearing a blue jacket and blue jeans.
The FBI stepped in by Tuesday night and helped enhance a photo of the suspect form the Safeway surveillance camera. The suspect could be seen wearing silver headphones and a uniquely striped scarf.
Witnesses say the man stole some steaks and two or three lobsters.
Police say no one has reported anyone with the description of the girl or elderly man as missing. Witnesses said it looked like the people in the car did not know the suspect.
Police say until they receive word otherwise, they will continue investigating this case as a carjacking and abduction.
If you have any information regarding this case that may help police, please call the Oakland Police Department at 510-238-3641.
ABC7 News reporter Alan Wang contributed to this report.
oakland, carjacking, child abduction, children, crime, east bay news, laura anthony
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case