East Bay News
Repairs underway on water main break in Berkeley
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A water main break in Berkeley flooded an intersection and flowed into some yards Friday evening, but does not appear to have damaged any homes or cars, according to a Berkeley fire official.
The break on the 1600 block of Parker Street was reported at 4:08 p.m., according to Deputy Fire Chief Avery Webb.
Water from the break between McGee Avenue and California Street was flowing west and flooding the intersection of California and Parker streets, Webb said.
The water reached as far as Sacramento Street, where it flowed into the underground storm drain, and overflowed some curbs into yards in the area, Webb said.
"It was threatening homes," Webb said.
Firefighters requested sand bags from public works crews to protect homes in the area, but were able to shut down one valve before they arrived, slowing the flow of water, Webb said.
East Bay Municipal Utilities District crews arrived on scene around 4:42 p.m., Webb said.
EBMUD spokeswoman Andrea Pook said around 35 customers on the 1600 block of Parker lost water service due to the break.
The location of the break made access difficult, but work crews were able to shut off the water flow shortly after 6 p.m. and repairs are underway, Pook said.
The cause of the break remains undetermined, Pook said.
berkeley, water, water main break, EBMUD, east bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 24 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill 6 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos