East Bay News
Off-duty Berkeley firefighter killed in tractor accident
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- Berkeley firefighters are mourning today after one of their own, 54-year-old firefighter-paramedic Anthony Nunes, was killed when his tractor overturned in rural Contra Costa County on Sunday, the city's fire chief said.
Nunes was found dead after emergency crews responded to a report of an overturned farm vehicle shortly after 6:30 p.m. Sunday near Bear Creek Road and Alhambra Valley Road west of Briones Regional Park, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District officials said.
Today would have been Nunes' 28th anniversary of working as a Berkeley firefighter, Berkeley Fire Chief Gil Dong said this morning.
Dong said the department is in mourning after learning of their colleague's death.
"It's a shock and an unexpected loss," he said. "This city and the department will miss him and his endearing smile."
Dong said Nunes was in charge of maintaining the fitness equipment at the city's fire stations and "the thing that lit him up the most was showing the fire station and fire engine to kids who would come by the station."
Nunes started as a Berkeley firefighter on Feb. 24, 1986, and had previously worked as a firefighter in Piedmont and as a reserve firefighter in Contra Costa County, the chief said.
He said Nunes' brothers were also firefighters for Contra Costa County and the East Bay Regional Park District.
Dong said the department's flags are at half-staff in honor of Nunes. A memorial service is planned for him but its date has not yet been determined, the chief said.
The cause of the tractor accident remains under investigation, according to Contra Costa County fire officials.
contra costa county, berkeley, fire, east bay news
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco 34 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 1 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting 57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos