Los Angeles News
Crash in Santa Fe Springs kills 2 young brothers; family, friends in mourning
SANTA FE SPRINGS, Calif. -- Family and friends are mourning the loss of two young brothers who died in a car crash Friday in Santa Fe Springs.
The crash happened just before 6 p.m. on Los Nietos Road near Norwalk Boulevard. Damian Medina, 11, was ejected from the Honda Civic being driven by the father. Medina's 13-year-old brother, Nathan, was found in the front passenger seat. He was declared dead at the scene. The crash was so forceful that it sheared the car in half.
Family members said the two brothers were best friends.
"Funny, outgoing, they were so, so loveable kids," said the boys' aunt, Daisy Estrada. "We're going to miss them."
Witnesses said the boys' 33-year-old father, identified by friends as Valentino Medina, was racing another vehicle when that driver cut him off, causing Medina to lose control and crash into a light pole. Medina suffered serious injuries and was at the hospital.
The older boy attended Los Nietos Middle School, while the younger one went to Aeolian Elementary School. They were described as nice boys who were respectful.
"It's just very tragic," said Kelly Collazo, a teacher at Aeolian Elementary. "He just had beautiful potential that was lost in Damian. He was my student in third grade. My heart weeps for the family and how this could have been avoided."
Teachers, classmates, family and friends stopped by a makeshift memorial for the boys. Some hoped the driver would talk to investigators.
"At least to come forward," Estrada said. "He will not bring them back but at least to do that."
"My only care is my kids and they're gone. Nobody can bring them back, no matter what," said the boys' mother, Marisol Alvarez.
car crash, los angeles news, leanne suter
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View 44 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday