Los Angeles News
Debi Austin, who smoked through hole in throat in CA tobacco ads, dies
LOS ANGELES -- Debi Austin, the woman who smoked a cigarette through a hole in her throat to show her struggle with addiction in a California public service advertisement, has died.
Health officials and Austin's family said Wednesday that the 62-year-old died of cancer.
Austin died Feb. 22 at a Van Nuys hospital, according to a family friend and spokesman Jim Walker.
She first appeared on television in 1996, telling viewers she started smoking when she was just 13 years old and could never quit. She spoke in a quiet, halting rasp. "They say nicotine isn't addictive," Austin would say before inhaling from a lit cigarette held to a hole in her throat.
"How can they say that?" Austin asked viewers, as cigarette smoke wafted from the hole, which is called a stoma. That stoma allowed her to breathe after her larynx was removed at age 42.
State health department officials say that particular TV spot was the most recognized and talked about tobacco control ad in California.
"Debi was a pioneer in the fight against tobacco and showed tremendous courage by sharing her story to educate Californians on the dangers of smoking," said Dr. Ron Chapman, who heads the health department. "She was an inspiration for Californians to quit smoking and also influenced countless others not to start."
Austin eventually quit her two- to three-pack-a-day habit. Still, she fought various forms of cancer for the rest of her life. She starred in other ads and spent the rest of her life advocating against the use of tobacco.
famous death, los angeles news
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF 45 min ago
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect 14 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault 30 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos