Los Angeles News
Downtown LA police chase: 3 alleged burglary suspects in custody
LOS ANGELES -- Three alleged burglary suspects in a blue Audi led Sheriff's deputies on a high-speed chase through downtown Los Angeles Friday.
The chase began through the streets of Duarte as Los Angeles County Sheriff's patrol cars pursued the suspects.
Shortly after noon, California Highway Patrol officers began chasing the car on the westbound 60 Freeway near the 605 Freeway to assist deputies. The chase led to the downtown Los Angeles area when the suspects exited the 101 Freeway at Alameda Avenue.
Speeds reached up to 100 miles an hour as the suspects in the sedan weaved through traffic and ran red lights through the city.
At one point, the vehicle appeared to be boxed in and a CHP officer got out of his patrol car and pointed his gun at the suspects in the car. However, traffic at the intersection began to move and the suspects nearly hit the officer when the vehicle took off around the corner.
As they sped through neighborhoods, a patrol car attempted to perform a PIT maneuver and rear-ended the suspects' vehicle. The car swerved and hopped onto a curb, almost slamming into a utility worker.
The driver regained control and continued to give chase, speeding through intersections, narrowly hitting a mother and her daughter as they were crossing the street.
Authorities said the pursuit ended on 71st Street and Broadway Avenue after a patorl car executed a PIT maneuver, which caused the driver to lose control.
When the car stopped, the female driver and the two male passengers attempted to flee from police on foot. The female suspect was quickly apprehended. The remaining two male suspects were caught soon after.
The events that led up to the pursuit remain under investigation.
car chase, burglary, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Two dead after apartment building fire in SF
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest 16 min ago
- Oakland A's ready to sign lease at O.co Coliseum 10 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Mandatory water cutbacks ordered in Livermore
- Boston Marathon bomb hoax suspect in court
- A's first pitch to honor man killed by drunk driver
- California home prices surge in March; sales fall
- WWI soldier's love letters found behind attic wall
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos