North Bay News
Warships in SF Bay to be recycled
SUISUN BAY, CA (KGO) -- Vowing to 'do the right thing,' the U.S. Department of Transportation announced a new plan for managing the Suisun Bay mothball fleet of retired military vessels.
Obsolete ships are usually recycled, but due to a regulatory deadlock no ship has left Suisun Bay since January 2007. Some of the ships are nearly 70 years old.
Now under the Obama administration, the DOT has come up with a new plan that would begin removal of the ships that pose the greatest environmental concerns as soon as next month. The first two ships will be towed to drydock in San Francisco, cleaned up and then sent to a recycling center.
"Think of this as a major sea change," said DOT Deputy Director John Porcari. "What we're doing is going the extra mile. Taking the extra step."
Fifty-seven ships have been given "non-retention" status. Twenty-five of those have been identified for earliest possible removal, primarily due to exfoliating paint and other petroleum products leaking into the water. Bay Area environmentalists hope eventually all the ships will be gone from Suisun Bay.
"This is the approach we've been pushing for all along," said Bruce Wolfe, Executive Officer of the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Board. "We're still pursuing a lawsuit. We hoping to resolve that and we're very optimistic with what you've heard here today that we'll be able to do that."
north bay news, laura anthony
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes
- City College San Francisco protests lead to arrests 5 min ago
- Stockton Tunnel reopens after water line break repaired
- 2 men arrested for possessing explosives 5 min ago
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force 47 min ago
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
43 min ago
- City College San Francisco protests lead to...
5 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos