North Bay News
Rohnert Park man dies after falling off rock
NAPA, CA -- An autopsy is being performed Monday on a Rohnert Park man who died after falling from a rock outcropping at Lake Berryessa on Thursday afternoon.
Rodney Thompson, 24, and his girlfriend were camping at Berryessa Estates near Pope Valley when they decided to go for a walk, Napa County sheriff's Capt. Tracey Stuart said this morning.
They stopped and sat down on an outcropping about a mile away, Stuart said. Thompson was sitting with his back to the water when he fell backward at about 4:30 p.m. and landed 30 feet below in about nine feet of water, Stuart said.
Thompson's girlfriend went for help and someone called 911, Stuart said. Sheriff's deputies were summoned around 4:45 p.m.
Thompson was pronounced dead at the scene, Stuart said.
His girlfriend said they had both been drinking alcohol, and drugs may also have been a factor in the fall, Stuart said.
It's unclear whether Thompson died from the fall or from drowning, Stuart said. Toxicology tests will help determine the cause of death.
rohnert park, napa, north bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 8 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
4 min ago
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
8 min ago