North Bay News
Critics blast plan to dispose dilapidated ships
SUISUN BAY, CA (KGO) -- Critics are blasting a proposal to send dozens of deteriorating ships in Suisun Bay thousands of miles across the pacific for scrapping.
A company based in Saipan, 4,000 miles from the Bay Area, says it will bid on the contract to dispose of 50 dilapidated ships in the mothball fleet.
Those ships are already leaking toxic paint and other chemicals into Suisun Bay.
Environmentalists say the vessels are in such bad shape they could sink during the trip and cause an environmental disaster.
north bay news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations 11 min ago
- Bay Area wakes up to frost as cold snap hits 42 min ago
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family 20 min ago
- Rally targets Sonoma County DA over teen's death
- BART unions file lawsuit against transit agency
- San Jose firefighters battle mobile home park blaze
- Truck with radioactive load stolen in Mexico
- Man grabs iPhone from pregnant woman at hospital
- San Jose lingerie company taking on 'Fit Mom'
- New video released of suspect who threw 2 cats into bay
- 'TipsforJesus' leaving giant tips at restaurants
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SJ police contract; Construction moritorium
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Crews call for reinforcements to find...
20 min ago