North Bay News
Roadside flowers leave bad smell in Novato
NOVATO, CA (KGO) -- Leave it to the persnickety residents of Marin County, and Novato, in particular, to prefer weeds instead of flowers.
"We do have larger, more important issues," admitted Novato City Manager Michael Franks, but he serves at the pleasure of Novato's City Council. Hence, a letter of complaint from Franks, to Caltrans Division 4 Director Bijam Sartipi. At issue, 1,800 square feet of flowers on a hillside overlooking Highway 101.
"Marin County has had a ban against billboard advertising since the 1970's," noted Franks. And the flowers, which depict a car that resembles a Prius, crossing a bridge that resembles the Golden Gate, are sponsored by Toyota.
"Smells like advertising to me," said one woman at a local car wash.
"I don't know what that thing is," said another. "It's just ugly."
Novato has no jurisdiction over the land in question, Caltrans does. It launched the yearlong trial program to have individuals or businesses take over responsibility for roadside maintenance on three-acre plots. Toyota hired a company called Greenroad Media to run the campaign.
"We'd really like to be able to mitigate the issue with the city if possible, but if it's not possible we certainly don't want to create consternation by the citizens," said Greenroad spokesperson George Manyak to the Marin Independent Journal.
"It just seems wasteful," Franks told ABC7 News. "We still have water rationing in this county. Those flowers do not set a very good example."
Toyota paid a $50,000 performance bond and spent another $50,000 on construction.
Caltrans spokesperson Bob Haus says Caltrans did know about Marin's non-billboard ordinance and never imagined it would create an issue.
novato, US 101, toyota, north bay news, wayne freedman
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Obama to address drones, Gitmo in security speech
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- Man impaled, killed by pipe through windshield
- Man escapes early morning house fire in Pinole 58 min ago
- Work to begin to replace bolts on new Bay Bridge 57 min ago
- SamTrans bus hits low hanging wire in San Mateo
- San Jose firefighters control 1-alarm house fire
- 'Attractive & Fat' campaign slams Abercrombie & Fitch
- Results of Consumer Reports test of sunscreens
- Man makes firearm using 3-D printer
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Missing pony; High-speed rail
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos