North Bay News
Swimmer detained in confusion over camcorder
TIBURON, CA -- A man who went out for a swim to Alcatraz today was detained by police in Tiburon after his camcorder was mistaken for a firearm, a U.S. Coast Guard petty officer said.
A 29-year-old man visiting from Wyoming was struggling in the water when crewmembers aboard a Blue & Gold ferry en route to Tiburon spotted him, Coast Guard Petty Officer Danielle Couture said.
The crew of the MV Zelinsky, which departed San Francisco around 5:30 a.m., placed a call to the Coast Guard alerting them of the situation.
But when the man - who was wearing a wetsuit, lifejacket and a camouflage vest - was taken aboard, the ferry captain mistook his camcorder and other personal belongings for a gun and possibly explosives, Couture said.
At that point the Coast Guard coordinated efforts with police on the ground in Tiburon to have the man detained upon arrival.
No other passengers were aboard the ship when it docked in Tiburon at 6:11 a.m., she said.
Once on steady land, Couture said police determined the camcorder was indeed a camcorder.
It is unclear if the swimmer made it back to San Francisco.
During the confusion, the Coast Guard adhered to standard procedures when there is a fear of explosives: they dispatched a small boat with a law enforcement team on board and set up a safety zone in the area. The safety zone is created for the protection of other mariners on the water.
The Tiburon Police Department could not be reached for comment as of 7:15 a.m.
A dispatcher with Blue & Gold said the ferry would complete its commuter runs this morning before the operator returns to fill out a report of the incident.
tiburon, north bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- San Jose man charged in two violent sexual assaults
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate 8 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos