North Bay News
Parents sentenced in daughter's accidental shooting
FAIRFIELD, CA -- A Vacaville couple was sentenced this morning to four years probation and 275 days in Solano County jail in connection with the accidental shooting of their two-year-old daughter by their 8-year-old son last year.
Michael Shanahan's and Daniela Shanahan's daughter Ayana was shot around 2:10 p.m. on Sept. 23, 2009 while her brother was playing unsupervised with a 9mm handgun in their parents' bedroom at the family's Vacaville home on Syracuse Circle. She was pronounced dead at VacaValley Hospital.
Michael, 29, pleaded no contest in March to one count of unsafe storage of a firearm and his wife Daniela, 28, pleaded guilty to one count of child endangerment in Solano County Superior Court. All other charges initially filed against them, including child abuse or neglect, were dismissed.
Solano County Deputy District Attorney Terry Ray said the Shanahans have 185 days credit for time served and will serve the 90-day balance of their term.
Solano County Superior Court Judge Wendy Getty also ordered the couple to attend a 52-week parenting class and perform 200 hours of community service, Ray said.
Ray said she asked the judge to sentence the defendants to two years in prison. Michael Shanahan faced a three-year term and his wife faced six years in prison, Ray said.
The weapons confiscated from their home by police will be destroyed, Ray said.
fairfield, child death, north bay news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 35 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested 39 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup 22 min ago
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing... 10 min ago
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday