North Bay News
HWY 101 reopened after fatal crash
SAUSALITO, CA -- All northbound and southbound lanes of U.S. Highway 101 on the border of Sausalito and Marin City have been reopened tonight after an SUV overturned on the highway, killing one person, the California Highway Patrol said.
The solo-vehicle crash was reported at about 8:45 p.m. when an SUV overturned on southbound Highway 101 at the North Bridge Boulevard exit, CHP Officer Peter Van Eckhardt said.
One person was ejected from the SUV and appears to have died on impact, Van Eckhardt said.
It wasn't immediately clear if anyone else was in the vehicle, but nobody appears to have been transported to the hospital, he said.
The body landed in a northbound lane, prompting the CHP to close Highway 101 in both directions.
A Sig-alert was issued at about 8:55 p.m. asking drivers to avoid the crash site by using the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge and Bay Bridge when leaving and entering San Francisco.
That alert was cancelled once all lanes of traffic reopened shortly after 11 p.m.
Northbound lanes were reopened at about 9:50 p.m., one southbound lane was reopened at about 10:40 p.m., and the remaining southbound lanes were reopened at 11:03 p.m.
Several drivers said they were hit by debris from the accident, Van Eckhardt said.
sausalito, highway 101, car crash, north bay news
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach 54 min ago
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd