North Bay News
Suisun Bay's 'mothball fleet' to be recycled
SUISUN BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- The U.S. Transportation Department awarded a $3 million contract to recycle two of the ships in the so-called mothball fleet in Suisun Bay near Benicia.
Many of these ships have been sitting here for years, corroding and polluting the bay. Several have been towed away, but this will be the first time any have been dismantled.
A company called Allied Defense Recycling of Petaluma will do the work at the former Navy shipyard on Vallejo's Mare Island.
benicia, suisun city, navy, north bay news
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in wife's death 49 min ago
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Dad accused of biting infant's nose to be arraigned
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Castro Valley man a person of interest in...
49 min ago
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted...
30 min ago
- Police visit homes of missing jetliner's...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos