North Bay News
Suisun Bay's 'mothball fleet' to be recycled
SUISUN BAY, Calif. (KGO) -- The U.S. Transportation Department awarded a $3 million contract to recycle two of the ships in the so-called mothball fleet in Suisun Bay near Benicia.
Many of these ships have been sitting here for years, corroding and polluting the bay. Several have been towed away, but this will be the first time any have been dismantled.
A company called Allied Defense Recycling of Petaluma will do the work at the former Navy shipyard on Vallejo's Mare Island.
benicia, suisun city, navy, north bay news
- South African leader Nelson Mandela has died
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Cal signs $18M deal for naming rights at stadium
- Bay Area mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Statewide AMBER Alert for Washington girl
- 5th day of searching for SJ CEO turns up empty
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash 15 min ago
- Bay Area bundles up as frigid weather continues
- Marcus Books strikes deal with owners to stay
- Teens arrested for alleged gang rape near Richmond
- abcnews: Radiant Orchid 2014 Color of the Year
- roundup: Sports Cap Bandit; SF hit-and-run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
48 min ago