North Bay News
Motel room fire started near heating unit
CORTE MADERA, Calif. -- A fire that injured a man in a motel room this morning started in or near the room's heating and air conditioning unit, Corte Madera Fire Chief Roger Sprehn said.
A 52-year-old man suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Marin General Hospital, Sprehn said.
The one-alarm fire caused $15,000 in damage and was confined to the motel room at America's Best Value Inn at 1595 Casa Buena Drive, Sprehn said.
Sprehn said the fire in Room 111 was unintentional, but the cover of the ceiling smoke detector in the room was removed and placed on a shelf and the smoke detector had a dead battery. It's unknown if the tenant removed the cover, Sprehn said.
"It's a common finding," Sprehn said.
The fire was reported at 7:26 a.m. and controlled at 7:42 a.m., Sprehn said.
fire, corte madera, north bay news
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms 56 min ago
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire 25 min ago
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- FBI seeks 'Sports Cap Bandit' bank robbery suspect 40 min ago
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Batkid back in SF; Fremont burglar 29 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro...
25 min ago