North Bay News
Center says wayward sea lion must be euthanized
SAUSALITO, Calif. (KGO) -- The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito says a sea lion found near Oakley this weekend will have to be euthanized.
The 5-year-old sea lion Na'au has a fatal case of red algae poisoning, probably from eating fish infected with the algae.
The poison affects a sea lion's ability to navigate, which may explain why she was so far inland.
There is no cure for the poisoning, but researchers will take a tissue sample for further study.
sausalito, oakley, north bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 4 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Object spotted may be part of missing...
2 min ago