North Bay News
Center says wayward sea lion must be euthanized
SAUSALITO, Calif. (KGO) -- The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito says a sea lion found near Oakley this weekend will have to be euthanized.
The 5-year-old sea lion Na'au has a fatal case of red algae poisoning, probably from eating fish infected with the algae.
The poison affects a sea lion's ability to navigate, which may explain why she was so far inland.
There is no cure for the poisoning, but researchers will take a tissue sample for further study.
sausalito, oakley, north bay news
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man 44 min ago
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 11 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup 52 min ago
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Frigid temps cause pipes to burst, heaters...
13 min ago