North Bay News
Center says wayward sea lion must be euthanized
SAUSALITO, Calif. (KGO) -- The Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito says a sea lion found near Oakley this weekend will have to be euthanized.
The 5-year-old sea lion Na'au has a fatal case of red algae poisoning, probably from eating fish infected with the algae.
The poison affects a sea lion's ability to navigate, which may explain why she was so far inland.
There is no cure for the poisoning, but researchers will take a tissue sample for further study.
sausalito, oakley, north bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos