North Bay News
Man arrested for trying to cash in stolen lotto tickets
COTATI, Calif. -- A Rohnert Park man suspected of stealing California Lottery scratch-off tickets from a Cotati convenience store last week was arrested Tuesday night after he was caught cashing them in, a police sergeant said Wednesday.
Chilico Hart, 31, is suspected of breaking into the Fast & Easy Mart at 7500 Commerce Blvd. in Cotati at about 4:20 a.m. on March 2, Cotati police Sgt. Chris Parker said.
The glass front doors were shattered, and the store's surveillance camera captured the burglar taking several boxes of lottery tickets, some alcohol and cash from the registers, Parker said.
Cotati police and the California Lottery's law enforcement division identified several locations where the suspect had cashed the stolen scratch-off tickets and obtained additional images of him, Parker said.
Cotati police Officer Eric Bilcich spotted a man wearing the same clothing as the burglary suspect in the convenience store video, and stopped him at about 9:40 p.m. Wednesday near Old Redwood Highway and state Highway 116, Parker said.
Police arrested Hart and recovered almost all of the stolen property from his Rohnert Park hotel room, Parker said.
Hart was booked into Sonoma County Jail for burglary.
crime, cotati, north bay news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Death penalty sought in killing of girl at sleepover
- Crews retrieving body that washed onto Lands End 47 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87 55 min ago
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child 29 min ago
- Military shell prompted evacuation of hundreds
- Water supply flushed after teen urinates into reservoir
- Mi Pueblo grocery stores submit bankruptcy plans
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch