North Bay News
Patient dies at Napa State Hospital
NAPA, Calif. (KGO) -- Another death happened at a state hospital where staffers have been threatened, attacked, and even killed. Now, there are concerns about possible retaliation against staff members after a patient died while being subdued at Napa State Hospital.
ABC7 learned the incident happened on Monday afternoon, between 5 and 6 p.m. in a high security section, surrounded by fencing and razor wire. It is an area where people found incompetent to stand trial are housed.
According to the sheriff's department, 47-year-old William Roebling was subdued after he allegedly attacked another patient. The staff performed CPR, but Roebling died at the hospital and now staff members are worried what other patients might do.
"There's some individuals, some of the patients, who are now threatening other staff because one of the patients died. And patients and staff are both really worried. They're scared. They're scared that something else is going to happen," said Kathleen Thomas-Morris, a SEIU steward.
Tuesday St. Sen. Noreen Evans and Assm. Michael Allen sent a letter to the governor saying "Quite simply, this ongoing situation in our state hospitals is unacceptable -- and deadly. More than 80 percent of those being treated at state hospitals arrive... through the criminal justice system. It is time we have laws, regulations, and on-site practices employed that reflect this new reality."
Earlier this year employees held several protests demanding more peace officers, a campus-wide alert system and more staffing. That followed the killing six months ago of a psychiatric technician who was attacked by a patient, another patient attacked a therapist in December, and now this incident on Monday.
It's unclear how the patient died. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.
ABC7 attempted to reach the hospital for comment and were told to call back in the morning.
napa, north bay news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 20 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality 57 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure 45 min ago
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos