North Bay News
Napa State Hospital patient suffered heart attack
NAPA, Calif. -- A Napa State Hospital patient who died after a fight with his roommate on Monday afternoon suffered a heart attack, Napa County sheriff's Capt. Tracey Stuart said Thursday morning.
The preliminary report from an autopsy on Wednesday indicated that the patient, 47-year-old William Roebling, suffered from coronary artery disease and had an enlarged heart, Stuart said.
Stuart said that when Roebling played a prank on one of his roommates around 5 p.m. Monday, the male roommate hit Roebling's buttocks with a rolled-up magazine. Roebling then punched the roommate in the face, Stuart said.
The altercation spilled out into a hallway near a nurses' station, where a third patient got between the two men, Stuart said.
When Roebling again tried to get at his roommate, hospital staff intervened and put Roebling face-down on the floor, Stuart said.
The staff members placed Roebling's wrists in soft, Velcro restraints and rolled him onto his back, Stuart said.
They then noticed that Roebling was turning blue and was having trouble breathing, Stuart said. Staff started CPR, but Roebling stopped breathing and was pronounced dead at 5:43 p.m., Stuart said.
Roebling's roommate suffered a spilt lip during the altercation, Stuart said.
napa, napa state hospital, north bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos