North Bay News
Napa State Hospital technician injured by inmate
NAPA, Calif. -- A psychiatric technician at Napa State Hospital was injured Sunday when a male patient became agitated and aggressive, a psychiatric technicians' union representative said today.
"This is just another day on the job with us," said Brad Leggs, president of the California Association of Psychiatric Technicians.
The patient became agitated late Sunday morning with a female psychiatric technician's assistant and started swinging, Leggs said.
The inmate punched a male psychiatric technician in the face when he intervened, Leggs said. The technician went to the hospital's medical unit and then went home and was to see his private physician, Leggs said.
The inmate was not arrested, Leggs said. The Napa County Sheriff's Office did not respond to the incident, Capt. Tracey Stuart said.
The inmate, who had previous confrontations, was in the area of the hospital that houses patients sent there on criminal cases, Leggs said.
Jennifer Turner, spokeswoman for the California Department of Mental Health, said in a prepared statement that on Sunday "a forensic patient assaulted staff resulting in minor injuries to a few staff. Hospital police responded to the scene and worked with staff to de-escalate the situation."
A psychiatric technician was killed by a patient in October, another psychiatric technician was assaulted by a patient in December, and a hospital employee was sexually battered by a patient in March, prompting calls for increased police in secured areas at the Napa hospital.
The Department of Health Services reported 574 physically aggressive acts against Napa State Hospital staff between October 2009 and September 2010.
napa, napa state hospital, north bay news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 34 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- South Bay hospital top notch for treating strokes 21 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 8 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos